Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Of the Games.

It has been a busy week. With little work and lots of play. Two Sundays ago our friends the Candlers came down from Illinois. When they come down it means it is ping pong season. This time it was not different in the least bit. On Monday we heated things up after I got home from having lunch and a business meeting with my boss and co-worker. We started it off with Texas Tornado, and we played that till they had to leave for Brownsville later that day. The following Saturday they came back, and we hardly skipped a beat. Frisbee was the order of that day. We played the first game of Frisbee, in the middle of the day, it was hot, and hot...did I mention that it was hot? Anyway we were burnt out before we had even reached the half way point in the game. After our second water break, both teams were tied at 3-3 and we deiced to play to 4. We finished up with our water break, and went back to the game. The rest of the game only lasted 30 seconds. Sierra started by throwing a fade out to Lena towards the left, and seconds latter she connected with a pass to me in the end-zone to end the game. It was rather anti-climatic. We went back to our house and after a little X-box we were recovered, and set up the Volleyball net. Some more friends came over, and joined in the game. We played a total of three games of Volleyball before moving on. The team that I was on won the first two matches, but took a crushing loss in the third game. The sun was lower in the sky now and we set out to play Frisbee again. This time we had more players, as my brother in-law had joined us along with our other friends.
Now I am not going to blame it on the fact that our team had a disadvantage in size, or that about half of them had never played the game before but...we were crushed. Flat out killed. 7-0. It was not even a near run thing.
Again we turned to ping pong...Yes! Texas Tornado was played till the rest of the guest had to leave late that night. At which point a challenge for a rematch between my older brother Calvin with Josiah Candler against each of their younger siblings. Two year back now we had played each other with those same teams and the younger siblings had won 2-1 in a best of three set. This time Josiah asked for a single game elimination. And that is what his sister and I gave him and Calvin. 21-11 final.
Yesterday we played Volleyball again, this time at the beach. Mr.Candler, Calvin, Johanna (my younger sister), and Rebecca (My youngest sister), against Josiah, Sierra, Lena and myself. We lost after we tied them up at game point. Final 16-14. Frisbee followed, and we kept the same teams. At the break, my team, or rather the team that I was on, was down, 4-3. But Lena found herself in the end zone three times in the second half holding the Frisbee. I through for three Touchdowns as well, while Josiah and Sierra both through and received Touchdowns respectively as we won 7-5. We finished up by playing Texas Tornado last night again...after several hours of X-box. Hehe...I think I have hooked the Candlers on it. The finals for Texas Tornado is as follows.
Rebecca 1.
Lena 3.
Josiah 5.
Sierra 9.
Calvin 11.
Johanna 16.
Robert L. 21.

Needless to say I am worn out...and beat.

End post.

Robert L.

14 comments:

John Calvin said...

Not quite as exciting as paintball, but it was all a lot of fun, well mostly. As for the doubles match, that was bad news from the start, at risk of paying royalties to the Cubs fans, "Maybe next time," but do not count on it.

John Calvin

Hannah Leigh said...

You stay REAL busy...don't you? ;)

In Christ,
~Rose

Robert L. said...

Calvin, I should say so.
Rose, I think that was half sarcasm...YES! I have corrupted another one! With Jeremy's help granted.

Sierra said...

Yeah, that weekend was one of the best!! :) I'm still wondering why I did so bad that night of ping-pong...Maybe it was because I wasn't feeling too good, or that I was tired from the day...Anyway, it was an amazing day, and you and Jo did great!! :) Thanks for a wonderful weekend, that I'm sure no one will forget! :)

Robert L. said...

Well if it makes you fill any better, I can post about the round of Texas Tornado that we played last night...that should give my readers (few as they are) a better idea of your skills at ping pong. In fact I might even add the few rounds of singles matches that were played.

Sierra said...

LOL! Sounds great!! :) But next time we come I will have another round of singles with Calvin! And hopefully I'll be able to "think more slowly"...;)

Robert L. said...

Slow down and stop thinking was the term I think I used. But the idea is the same.

Robert L.

John Calvin said...

Sierra, I like to play fast, hit the ball hard and keep it low over the net. I do not think I could recommend slowing down as a good strategy for victory. The slower the ball is moving, the more time I have to plan where I want to "try" to put it. However, it is nice to know that there is at least someone out there who thinks beating in ping pong is a goal worthy of a little effort. Maybe you will win next time, then again, maybe not.

John Calvin.

Robert L. said...

It is not the speed that we are really concerned about. It is the time she will get to think positively or just clear the mind of negative thought. Which can include "I need to get this point." "I am going to lose." "Haaa! that is so frustrating that he got another slam!" "No! He has scored five straight points!" "Who is watching?" So on and so forth. So good point Calvin...but Sierra do not listen to him. You were beating him 9-6 when you were playing slower, or evenly. Then he slammed you once and you started playing faster. Which made you give up a lot of points in a row. You moved faster and did not concentrate. Which made you lose the lead. That made you panic and it was over by then and nothing could be done. Your thoughts were the first thing that changed. Everything else followed.
Now if you see that some else is moving to fast, and not controlling their thought and emotions, then you should speed up the game. It can turn a 7 to 3 run, into a 11-4 run easily. (Run as in you score 7 to their 3, or 11 to their 4.

Robert L.

Sierra said...

LOL! I came here to answer Calvin, but you said everything that I was going to say, (concerning what Calvin said). But Cal, next time I come, I'll be ready. :)

Anyway, thanks for the info Robert. I really need to work on returning slams. At one point at church I was winning the most in "around the world", so the guys all teamed up and one "popped it up" and then the other slammed it. It was very frustrating...But hopefully soon I will master it. :)

Robert L. said...

Tell those wimps that if they can not beat a girl honestly then they should wear paper bags over their heads when playing...or at any time for that matter. In reality that is the biggest honor that they can give you. By doing thus they acknowledge that you are the best and they came in as second rate...and you can tell them I said that! In fact tell them all that I said that. Anyone who participated in the set up and slam, are all second rate. :)
Robert L.

Jeremy Degenhart said...

What about my help? I'm confused...

Robert L. said...

Well, you maybe right...you may have not known her when she was not corrupted. The first signs of it showed up on your blog however. But before that she had acted like a half normal person. But it only took a matter of weeks for my "smart-alecky" remarks, and sarcasm to make her start smarting back and so on and so forth. Your first post on my blog helped I think. Thus the assist I gave to you on corrupting her. :)

Robert L.

Sierra said...

Who are you saying is corrupt???? NOW, I'm confused, I thought everyone had forgotten about that conversation. If thats what your talking about...