Saturday, September 20, 2008

Playing with toys!

We have all played with them. Some of us played with guns and rubber snakes, others played with with plastic horses and dolls, but when it comes down to it we all played with toys. And in some of my reader cases, it may be that they still do play with toys. And after today so do I. I will not go into all the detail on how it came down to it, but as it turned out I ended up being put in charge of watching three young boys for about four hours today. I no longer have most of the toys that I played with when I was their age so for a while I was stump as to what I was going to do to entertain them. Fortunately I still had my Hot wheels sets from the old days. My brother and my younger sisters all once raced Hot Wheels together. For a time it was all that we would do, day in and day out. However I found that the track, that I had stored up in the attic over the years, were in fact all bent and warped by the heat. So I drove down to the store real quick and picked up 10 sticks of track and three new cars for the boys to use. It worked. The boys were so taken with the racing that I hardly had to do a thing at all. But do you think I did nothing? Nope. I was racing my old cars right next to their new cars. I had just as much fun as they did playing with those cars. However I think I had fun for other reasons then when I played years ago. Back then I played to have fun, win and make memories. Today I played to remember the fun memories I had made with my siblings, along time ago. I enjoyed the memory of having fun just as much as I had enjoyed the racing of the cars years ago while making those memories.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yep, those cars really were a blast!

Your little sis
Rebecca

Hannah Leigh said...

My brother and I used to have a race track like that...and boy did we use it well! (It's now broken and various pieces seem to have grown legs and ran away!:)
*stops for a moment to remember the rainy days in the house with that track being worn down by cars flying over it...*
Anyway, nice post!

-Rose

Marks of Faith said...

Loved the post Robert. It is fun to reflect on one's personal history. I do that a lot (with help of course). I remember you all racing cars and playing with army men at 11 at night outside of my bedroom door when I was trying to sleep...you all were a riot! I use to tell people that WWIII commenced every night right outside of my bedroom with all the noise you all use to make. : )

Robert L. said...

I think we reached WW3000 by the time it was over.

Marks of Faith said...

LOL! I'd agree with that!!! Good thing I was a deep sleeper back then. I'd never be able to fall asleep now. Cromwell can roll over in bed and I hear him!

Hannah Leigh said...

Yep, that's what mothers do! :D

-Rose