Friday, April 3, 2009

"Fire up the crowd! Here comes the Astros..."

Last night me and my two sisters along with a friend from our church went to Whataburger field, home of the Corpus Christi Hooks, to see them host their major league affiliate, the Houston Astros. This was a spring training game so it did not mean any thing as far as standings go.
The Astros flew in all the way from Florida to play the Hooks, for just one game. And what was great was that they all came. Even the starting pitchers and relief pitchers that would not pitch in the game came with the club. The Astros scored first on a wild pitch, and added another run the next inning. By the fifth inning the Astros started bringing in their second string. And after the sixth they took out the starting pitcher. And as fate would have it the Astros had three non-major league pitchers scheduled to pitch in relief that night some of them being former Hooks players. The first one came in and gave up a two run shot to start the inning, which tied the game. He then proceeded to give up another run to make the score 3-2. The Astros' hitter showed off their major league ability when they pulled off two hit and runs in the next inning and put up a three spot to go back on top by two. Then they brought in the other minor league pitcher. He did the best out of the three relief pitchers the Astros trotted out, he only gave up a solo shot. He had to get a double play with the bases loaded to get out of the inning however. The Astors sent out the third and final pitcher for the botten of the ninth. Two batters later and we had a walk-off on our hands.

Robert L.

P.S. Hope any none Baseball people or baseball haters where able to understand that...In fact I hope even you baseball followers understood that.

10 comments:

Marks of Faith said...

I think I got it! Hooks won! : )

Robert L. said...

Yes. That is what I said. But then you have me for a brother so I am not surprised that you under stood that. :)

Robert L.

Kenneth Hunter Burk said...

I want to know if a nonbaseball person can define what a "walk off" is? I also want them to know if they believe this particular walk off was homerun or not?

Big-Dog said...

I was able to decipher it after reading through twice... And I am only mildly baseball educated.
I now own a Astros t-shirt by the way....

Robert L. said...

Alright Big_Dog! That is the way to Go!

Marks of Faith said...

Lucky Me!!!!!!!!!! ; )

See you tomorrow!

Love,
Jennifer

Big-Dog said...

So now you need to get a steelers jersey....

Robert L. said...

Let me think about that one...Your right Big-Dog...My sisters are always saying they need toilet cleaning rags. A Steelers Jersey would do nicely. :)

Robert L.

Rebecca said...

Somehow I don't remember ever saying that, don't take me wrong though you can get as many rags as you want Robert and clean till your harts content just be sure to do a good job, but I would rather use other tools. :)

Your little sis,
Rebecca Marie

Robert L. said...

Well it was a long standing joke way before you could even understand words Rebecca. But I was not expecting you to clean the toilet...or anything else. The "Always" part was just the stretch commonly used by many people, including you. But really...it was my other two sister's that said it years ago. So you are right in a way, you don't remember.

Robert L.